Sunday, January 08, 2006

Tag a Day! London....(in my dreams).

LONDON-have always wanted to go. Hope to one day. I'll just fly over on my magic carpet....ha ha....in the meantime I'm "resting on my laurels".....I have a cold in the worse way! I usually don't get colds like this and this is throwing me for a loop, but there is no rest for the weary. This is my newest Tag. I got the idea when I woke up. I used a vintage ad clip again that I had saved and attached it to a piece of "London" notepaper I got at the "Tar-jey" new $1 bins. I always check out what they've got there. They have all sorts of wonderful "junk" that I pick up for my collage or goodie bag stuff for the kids, etc. They usually have a "theme". This month it's London/Paris/NY. They had plates, memo pads (which I'm a sucker for), card, candles, etc. Anyhow, where was I? Oh yeah, I also used a ribbon from my secret "stash". I love my ribbons b/c many of them are from my Mom's sewing things. she is a self-taught seamstress by trade. she started sewing at age 11. She worked at home sewing when I was young. That is why I believe that I have an affinity for fabric scraps, buttons, ribbons, etc. ---they take me back to the comforts of home. there are also endless patterns, colors, textures, etc. I would see how my mom would take these things and make marvelous, beautiful things, out of them. she never ceased to amaze me, and still does. Anyhow, my mother is the QUEEN of saving every scrap of "do you know how expensive this was?"fabric, ribbon, etc. So, when we go to "grandma's house", my daughters and I go "shopping" through all of her stash. We get a little bag and take whatever we are looking for that day. She loves that we are using things she has saved and I love using things that I feel are part of her. LK Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so wonderful how you're able to re-use these things your mom saved!!

and i totally love this london tag.

Lauri said...

I love that tag a day idea! You don't need everything, just get one little bin for tag stuff and, voila! You're ready to go!

The kids and I LOVE the dollar section of Target! But...one funny story. I was looking for party favors for my oldest daughter's 10th birthday party last spring and was going through there. I had my then 3 year old with me so, you know, everything was kind of a blur! I saw these really cute pink 'Magic 8 Ball' type things on a keychain and thought "PERFECT"! Grabbed up 8 of those and moved on. Put them in the gift bags and gave them all out. The next day, Allison comes to me and asks, "What does this mean? It says, do 2 Jello shots?" (or something like that) I was like WTH??? Turns out it was NOT a magic 8 ball, it was a DRINKING GAME!!! OMG! Talk about Mother of the Year! Handing out drinking game keychains to a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds! I wrote letters of apology to every one of their mothers...most of them had a sense of humor about it! lol!
Lauri

Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

Lauri--you're so funny! my sis did a very similar thing when she donated a board game to their private school and it was not appropriate (although marketed like a kids game). the head mistress was the first to let her know and my sis works for the school so she was SO embarrassed! we've all been there. Tar-jey should know better though as only mom's and kids are usually pouring over this area! shame! shame! LOL. but seriously, I've gotten some great "junk" over in that corner! I even got some decent scrapbook stuff and a wine journal, cards and some print calendars. I never leave there without a "goody" from that area! I just also picked up some portable storage carts there for $5. They are stackable. Great for toting around my "tag" supplies. I'm sure you've prob. seen them there. thanks so much for your comments and for sharing the funny mom story! Lia