Wednesday, June 21, 2006

from artjunkgrl's "studio"


from artjunkgrl's "studio"
Originally uploaded by artjunkgrl.

From my desk last nite....I was "tidying up" my new "studio". Like I said before, it is in what we formally (or still call) the mudroom, so things end up in there as it's next to the garage, so things going in and out of the house (shoes, etc.) end up cluttering the place. Anyway, I am still sorting some stuff. Got this cool vintage pattern at the local second hand for 25 cents. I loved the color and style of the dresses! Thought it would be cool for a future collage or something, not to mention that the pattern papers inside also are great additions to a collage or other paper project. I just love anything related to sewing. I grew up around this stuff since my mom is a seamstress. She started sewing at age 11. She is way talented. I can only quilt. do not know how to do anything else. she didn't teach me to sew (although I often hung around helping her with little tidying tasks). The reason she would give for not teaching me is that I needed to "get an education" and not do these things. Later in life, I took up a quilting class. I LOVE to quilt. She really frowned upon it, even now that I am 40, ok, 41....she went on and on about the "quilts" and said why would I want to play with all those "little pieces". I told her it relaxed me. She doesn't understand. She said I should wait until I'm old and have blue hair.....she is a crack up. Think "big fat greek wedding" kind of mother. yup. that's my mom. As my sis says, "you just can't make it up.". Anyhow, I'm proud of her for raising us and making education so important, but the little girl in me is always wanting to sew, collage, or whatever. One funny thing happened though earlier this year. I showed her the quilted wall hanging I made from my class and asked her to "finish" the edges for me on her special machine. She took it home and promply called me to say that I had done excellent work on the back of the quilt! she was impressed. That's alot coming from "helga", (that's my nickname for her). Anyway, the reason I wanted to write "from my desk, to my blog" is that I wanted to write out a few "creativity" goals I have for this summer. They mostly involve learning, and I hope to make time to do some of the following:

1. Learn how to mat my collages on to mat board. I've seen a few of these from other artists and I'm amazed at how it makes the collage so sturdy and looking like a mini work of art. I hope I can learn how to do this. I will look into it. So much to learn, wish some of my blog buddies lived near so we could teach each other stuff!

2. I want to scan the collection of vintage photos I have of my parents. I would like to start a "fabric" book with the vintage photos of my mom sewing in her village. (my parents got married older, so essentially, they were old enough to really be my grandparents). Perhaps this is why I have that old world taste in everything. I just got my scanner back yesterday...after 3 weeks in the "repair center", so I am going to be scanning up some of my collages soon as well as the photos.

3. Do some "Freestyle" scrapbooking. This looks right up my alley since I love collage and pictures, and this style is SO much fun and anything goes, kinda like me!

4. Make one collage or painting on a canvas this summer.

5. make one large collage paper "quilt" and frame it (I already know what it's going to look like, just gotta get my junk together). and last but not least.

6. Participate in some swaps. I've heard of these and it sounds like alot of fun. Great way to meet more "artistas" too and have fun wrapping some things up.

Ok, maybe that's overly ambitious, I dunno, but at least this is what is on my mind right now. I do want to commit to staying creative and developing my artwork.

What are your "creative" summer goals?

~Have a great summer day! ~Lia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to tell you, I love your post about your mom. She sounds like an interesting person. My mom was the same way about not ever teaching me the things she knew....except she did teach me to embroider. Also wanted to say I thought your photo today was just perfect. The pattern is great. Pattern tissue paper is so much fun to work with.

And all I can say about your summer goals is WOW!! You sure plan to be a busy gal.

Janet

Judy Scott said...

Lia what a fabulous list, we could just adopt your list and have ago too. Not really sure yet what my to do list would include I think one thing would be to make a fabric book to hold my art cards.
I keep promising myself to make one and then something else comes up lol, hugs to you Judy x