Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Self-Portrait Challenge~week 1



I've been married to an awesome guy for almost 21 years. we got married young, so people can't believe we have 4 kids. they say, "you don't look like you have 4 kids", I say, "what am I supposed to look like? an ape?" People used to gaulk when they saw me bopping around town with 4 kids in tow. When the forth came along, it was a bit more difficult. I decided to buy one those huggy things you hang from your neck with the baby in front. That way I could leave the stroller in the car and make it easier. I thought it was the most awesome invention since they didn't have these when my older kids were born. Well, my bubble was burst when this older stern woman walked up to me with a crooked finger and told me I was suffocating my child "in that thing". Ha! Nothing against older people, I'm just still traumatized by the gaul that woman had. I never got over why people had to have more opinions of you because you had 4 kids. are you an alien from outer space? my mother, who is from a small mountainside on a greek island would say with each pregnancy announcement, "even in the village, we used prophylactics" (think big fat greek wedding, yes, they say stuff like this). Much too her chagrin, my sis also had four kids (we call each other "MOF's" for mothers of four. So anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, I am married to an awesome guy who I affectionately call, "Bruno". He is the "computer geek" kind of guy, although he got lasiks, old pictures of him don glasses that cover his whole face. He is the straightforward, "ron howard" kind of apple pie guy.(some of you may be too old to know who ron howard is...), anyway, he was in the navy, he sees things in black and white and makes spreadsheets in his head. when you ask him a emotional question he needs time to process. we joke that his brain takes messages, "in the order that they are received", a few days later he will spill out the answer out of nowhere, "no, your butt doesn't look big in that dress."..."ok, honey, that was so two days ago..." Oh yeah, this is supposed to be about me, right.
Ahhhemmm, well the point I was getting to is that I am the opposite of my linear husband. I am way spontaneous, ecclectic, and have made him move furniture more times than he would care to admit. he always looks at me with his eyes half shut and breathe's, "this is the last time I am moving this...". But he never ceases to humor me and do it. But, I think that is why our relationship works. He keeps me grounded when I am all over the place trying to do a hundred things at once.... "focus, Lia, focus" he will say, but I keep him seeing things in more than one way. He has become more spontaneous himself over the years. I think I may have convinced him that life is not all about strategy, that you have to take chances, go with your heart and step out of the box. He tells me he loves me because of my eyes and my heart. I love him because he is a great man and father and my rock to lean on no matter what. I had a hard childhood. I swear it's been his mission to make that up to me. He protects me like a bodyguard, and loves me like there is no tomorrow. Now, about the kids. I have two older teenagers and 2 younger kids (elementary school age). Now that all 4 are in school, I've gotten to do some things I like, mainly art and photograpy (I did art as a child and put it on the back burner because I "didn't have time"), I don't know why I waited so long. If I had to do it again, I would have fit it in anyway. I was always trying to perfectly organize my home (ok, I admit I can be a bit compulsive, even though I'm pretty laid back). I figured out one day that laundry, chores and junk like that will never end, but precious moments are to be relished. Each day has them, sometimes you just have to pay attention because they are hidden. esp. when your brain tells you otherwise. this wisdom has come to me since turning 40. And speaking of the big 4-0. I've come to some serious conclusions since turning 40. Life is what you make of it. Family and friends are to be treasured and nutured. Freedom from "what others may think" was lifes gift to me (along with an extra 5 lbs. when I swear my metabolism came to a screaching halt on the eve of my 40th bday)I think I may have actually heard it. Another thing I learned is that negative people zap you of all your energy. I try to spend time with people who make me laugh and help me be a better person. You can't change negative people, but they can change you. Life is too short to worry about petty junk. And speaking of junk, I like vintagey finds, old junk, stuff that has meaning and is also usable. I love vintage photos, family history, old victorian houses and going to the beach. I love movies, brownies and mcdonalds choc. sundae. I can have that for dinner. Most of all, I love my families hugs, kisses, lively conversation, jokes and hanging out together. I love making my house comfy so that others feel welcome and warm. I believe in being kind, looking people in the eye and finding the best in everyone. WEll, that's about it for now. Off I go, I think Bruno is calling me to get off the computer! :)~Lia (aka artjunkgrl).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have absolutely let us in to who you really are through your words. I can't wait to see your photos through the challenges!

Anonymous said...

your are so brave to share and I love the photo, you look so happy!

Kim Carney said...

Hello artjunkgrl! Metabolism+50=0 ') from someone who knows, amen on the negative people.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! It feels like a conversation between new friends. It's nice to meet you and thanks for leaving such nice comments for me! I can't wait to check back in with you next week.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm a "MOF" too! I loved reading this entry. I learned so much about you. You and your family are amazing.
a.

Jessie said...

This is a great post. It's nice getting to know more about you!

Anonymous said...

wow, i was so intrigued reading your post ... i couldn't stop reading! i'm a mof too and i am doing the BOD too . so glad i found your blog. you make me laugh and smile because we have so much in common - my husband and i have been married for 17, together for 21... and we are like night and day, but we fit like two peas in a pod. thanks for the inspiring words about relishing the important things and not sweating the not so tidy house....