Sunday, May 21, 2006

Inspire Me Thursday~Abstract Art Challenge

I spent some time this weekend getting out the paints and randomly painting some backgrounds for collaging as well as making a few abstract pieces for the current Inspire Me Thursday challenge: Abstract Art. I was so excited to see this as this week's topic because it's the type of art I like to look at and dabble in most! I think it's because it often includes LOTs of color and it's just really the way my brain sees things. As a child I was very drawn to Picasso paintings when learning about him at school. This type of art comes most easiest to me. The Inspire Me Thursday site has some awesome links on abstract art. I learned so much. One of the things I've learned since participating in these meme's is my art style. I feel this is so important because it shows me where I need to grow. One of the things that currently bothers me is that I normally don't have a plan. I sounded very similar to the beginner person described in the "how to paint abstract art" on the IMT link. I often don't sketch first. I'm often quite random. I have gotten better about walking away and not finishing the piece, but I do often lack a plan. I don't paint often, and when I do, I just go with the flow. That is probably why I love abstract art so much...anything goes and that is right up my alley!! One of my goals, however, in growing as an artist would be to have a somewhat of a plan or theme before I start. I really think this would help me get out what I want to when I'm making a piece. Anyway, the above little "abstract painting", painted on the back of a piece of a magazine advertisment (lol) is one that I painted, then outlined. I also painted lots of backgrounds to collage on, which hopefully I will get to this week! I would love to hear how others create and if they have a plan or not. (aside from the original idea). Also, if you do one type of art, do you get bored with it? Drop me an email or comment and let me know. I really want to learn and learning from other artists helps me most! Hope to 'catch' you this week on the blog! :) :) Lia

5 comments:

shannonjyl said...

here it is...
i had to go to your profile/webpage to get here..
it is wonderful..
what a challenge this was..
you art is beautiful!

Judy Scott said...

Hi lia, I ve only recently 'found' you through flickr but I think your work is wonderful, colourful and thoughtful.
I love all kinds of art and dont just stick to one thing I get too excited and have to try new things so Ive got lots of things on the go at once. My inspiration comes from things around me, from books, my 'sketchbooks', photographs, my wonderful kids and if I get stuck I close my eyes and see what comes into my head first.

What Ive found really helpful is to keep a small sketch book and not be precious about it so if something comes into my head get it down even if its a bad drawing, its still inspiration for later that you would forget otherwise, I also keep one by my bed, as I dont sleep too well at present and have things chasing round in my brain - so I get them all out on the paper he he often in moonlight so I dont wake hubby !!!!! Its a really good way to get the images and ideas out and then you can expand on them weeks/months/ years later.
Another thing I like to do is play with a medium I am uncomfortable with- fabric is my things I dont stress about it but watercolour drives me mad , so about three times a week I do quick 'play' with watercolour its another learning curve and the more you practise the better or rather more confident you get, lol. The challenges I ve been doing are another thing thats helped me. Im still working on my abstact one but am making myself move away from fabric (my comfort zone)and go with a different medium.
Sorry, Ive gone on abit here. Hope Ive helped a little & hope to catch up with you agian, Judy x

Karen Jinks said...

I love this design, very funky and fun! I don't have a plan when i start a piece, just cover the paper or canvas in the colour that suits my mood at the time, get a great big pile of paper, photos, scraps and other bits and bobs and just start playing! I do keep scrapbooks of things that inspire me though, just to give me a kick start when I feel a bit blank and I quite often have more than one piece on the go. Something you do in one piece might spark off an idea for another one you may have got stuck with. Above all don't feel pressured by what you do, especially if you are having a bad day, leave it and do something else for a while. It almost always works out in the end!

carla said...

I like the simple shapes and harmonious colors you used here. I do hope you'll post this again when you add some collage...it will have another personality! I usually have an image in my mind when I draw or paint something, and often I research it to make sure I have the correct details. I generally start with a sketch and work from there. Often the piece morphs into something else along the way. For this week's challenge, all I had in mind were specific colors, and I just jumped right in. I had fun, but I have to admit that i like the results better when i know what I'm doing. Anyway...that's my thing...I often envy those who just go with the flow! This one turned out really well:>

Anonymous said...

this is so full of whimsy and fun! it reminded me of the illustrations from Maisy. love the colors! Thanks for participating at Inspire Me Thursday!