Monday, February 06, 2006

Self Portrait Tues...True Confessions....I am the queen of mean when it comes to clean....

Ok, so, this month's challenge is exposing not the good, not the pretties, but the uglies....the messes, the mayhem, the moo-moos. WEll, this has hit very close to home since I have to realize that 1)I like everything being clean and 2)I don't want anyone to see my mess and 3)I get real mean when my family is not cooperating with my need for clean.
My pic for this week is typical of the admonitions and warnings that I leave around the house. I am often reminding everyone that they need to keep it spiffy around here. Now, I'm not saying I am perfect. I am not. I can create messes quite easily with all my pictures, magazines, books, etc., but I am quite disciplined about getting things in order afterwards.
You see, I grew up in a very chaotic and messy home. My Mom was a pack rat.She also fried food alot so things were "gunky" in the kitchen and my Mom sewed at home so their were always scraps, pins and fabrics around. She often left the house with clothes and fabrics and all sorts of stuff that we may "need some day" laying out. It always made me feel uncomfortable. So, as you can see, I have some "tissues" as my hubby would say about the whole neatness thing and how shameful it is for my home to be found anything but a den of order should I have company pop in unexpectedly. Now, if I go to my friends home and there are piles and such, I think it's normal, but I don't cut myself any slack and I normally drive myself crazy keeping up with my home (which is often much more than I can handle myself). In fact, I spent several years solely devoted to organizing every crevice of my home. I finally realized I was never leaving the house or having a real life, so I slowly weaned myself from this unacheivable goal. I still get nervous if things are chaotic and I often am trying to bring it to order so I can relax. I don't like to sit down and relax unless I get everything cleaned up. I now stop at a certain point of "good enough" so I can get around to doing some art or relaxing with my husband and kids. So, I will try, try, try to show my homes ugly side. I will need some hand holding on this one though! More to come! ---LK

5 comments:

Otter said...

Maybe you can over and whip me into shape. I'd rather paly in my art studio then sweep the dust. Thanks for the encoraging words about my ATCs.

Lia (artjunkgrl) said...

LOL-I think it's the other way around! ~Lia

Jana B said...

Way to go on being authentic!!!!!!

Caroline said...

My mother was like your mother but I'm almost as messy too... just shows we all react differently... I do like it when its clean... its keeping it that way that is beyond me....

You've done really well in showing this side of yourself. You've risen to the challenge whilst I've ignored it for this week ;-)

Lauri said...

OMG! I am exactly the same way as you are! I have to have everything in order. I cannot sit down on the couch if something/toy is laying on the floor. And my cats drive me crazy, because they love to take the dirty socks out of the laundry basket and walk around the house with them, so there are ALWAYS dirty socks laying around, which is just gross!

I don't like things on counters and stuff like that. I just want clean and neat. If things are messy, it's like I can feel the chaos. A friend of mine used to say he liked being at my house because it was so "minimalist"! lol!

BUT...my mom was the same way. When I was a kid though, I was the queen of mess and chaos. Probably rebelling, but I didn't know it at the time. Now I am just as bad, if not worse, than she was...and she can't believe I turned out this way! lol!