Thursday, January 19, 2006

Blogging the Artist's Way~What Inspires Me?


Things that Inspire Me Post~
Sorry to not post it last week....but here goes....This is a bookshelf in my little "corner of the world" in our Family Room. It's kind of my little area where I put things that I love and things that inspire me daily. It makes me feel happy to look at this shelf every day. I wanted to share that as an example of what I am inspired by, mainly because it "houses" many of those things or ideas! Luckily, I've carved out this area of the house all to myself and no one can put anything there except me! yeah! My hubby likes my little wall display (which keeps growing), so...where was I, here's the "list":

1. The Beach and pictures of the Beach! (there are several things on my shelf and on the wall) that remind me of the beach. A photo of my daughter picking up her beach bucket on the sand, a little Vintage beach photo book, the ya-ya sisterhood book that I love with them doing a pyramid in their vintage bathing suits, The gifts from the Sea book by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (a great beach read), seashells in a jar that my kids have collected over the years.

2. The Pumpkin Patch-I've taken the kids almost every year since they were 3 and some of them 3 months old! The pictures on top of the shelf are of 2 of my daughters in the hay ride truck. I also have pictures of them in the same places through the year. This year we picked our own pumpkins and apples and even my older teenagers wanted to go. It was so cute b/c they were acting like they were "too old" when I announced one morning that we were going and it was the "only day" we could. They were thinking (lazy day at home in our sweats...). Well, I told them, "it's ok, the girls and I are going and I'm not forcing you to go." WEll, low and behold, as the girls and I were set to go in the car, ready to pull out of the driveway, they came bumbling out, running to the car with their sweatshirt hoods on and jumping in like 2 year olds saying they "changed there mind" and wanted to tag along! It was a great moment! I knew that our PP ritual stirred up nostalgia in their heart and that they had good memories, so that was a good parent moment! So, seeing those pictures inspires me b/c of the experiences and b/c of the beauty of the farm.

3. My FAith-At some point, I started collecting wall crosses. Now my friends get them for me everywhere they go! I have my first one up on the wall. It symbolizes my faith and hope in God. My faith greatly inspires me.

4. LOTS of LIGHT! Lots of light inspires me! That is I painted this main living area of ours "champagne" or creme. I love having lots of light pouring in the house and reflecting from the walls. That gives me energy and inspiration alone.

5. Jars. I love jars. They contain things. The jar on the top shelf corrals all the little bits and pieces I find all around the house: erasers, fake teeth from halloween, nailclippers, and all kinds of JUNK! I love the look of Jars, their shape, and that they are see thru. I also love that they can contain some ORDER in the Chaos which leads me to another inspiration of mine: Order in my home. When things are orderly, my mind is more free to create and think clearly. That is why I use lots of containers, jars, etc. to corral stuff that get's "left behind" and I can have a central place to "point" when someone says, "where is my..."?

6. WWII history, there is a book there on the bottom shelf on it, I also love vintage photos of soldiers, nurses, and generals. My Dad was a WWII vet. He was the most patriotic man I ever knew. He was awesome. Oh, and speaking of America, I also am inspired by:

7. The American Flag. I love everything flag. I love red/white blue stars. I am trying to do my whole "mudroom" right now in the patriot theme. The flag inspires me SO much because of what it symbolizes. It reminds me that people have died for it, that people are dying every day for our freedom. I have so much respect for the people who serve in the military. There strength and courage is such a huge inspiration to me! I think of them and pray for our soldiers daily.

8. Quotes. Quotes inspire me. I can read one quote and it can change my day. I have a quote plaque from a friend on the wall there. It reads, "It is not the breaths that we take, but the moments that take our breath away." I have many others throughout the house. They inspire me daily.

9. Anything LONDON or Paris. I wish to go there one day. My husband promises he will take me and has already bought me a "journal" for our trip (although I don't know when it will be!)

10. My TAg album: It's an album I made for my tags, it's on that shelf.

11. The color green, especially vintage green. I just love it, it's so soothing and inspiring to me, don't ask why, I don't know!

12. My books: many of my favorites on the bottom shelf. Just looking at them inspires me! Books on Marilyn Monroe, Travel books, particularly Greece, and my fave novels.

13. Candles. I have candle a green candle (in my fave color!) on the top shelf.

14. Other Artists and Bloggers. I am SO inspired seeing what other artists are doing and love to browse in the evening and look at their work. It inspires me when I see artists that just go for it and make beautiful things from their heart and soul. The vast collection of "knitting blogs" also inspire me! I don't knit, but women who do inspire me because they are so passionate about it and they always sound so interesting. It makes me want to start knitting!!!!

WEll, that's the short version....LOL. Got to go pick up my son at school now. So nice to go down inspiration Lane though! "Blog" to you later!!!!!!!~Lia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fantastic inspiration share!! i think it's wonderful that you've carved out this area in your home just for things that make you happy and inspire you. it was great fun to read about too!

i also love jars and boxes...can't really explain why, but i do! :-)

Cindy (aka PaintChip) said...

Here, here... I agree. WTG with building your own little space and having so many inspirational things placed in it! You seem to be rather eclectic in your approach to art and life. This inspires me every time I see it in another individual!

I'm a multi-media artist myself. Tags are one of my favorite things to create too. So seeing your tags really drew me into your blog further. :)

I've enjoyed reading your entries and moseying through the comments folks have added too.

I wish you lots of fun in your AW adventure and look forward to seeing more of your art too!

Anonymous said...

Awww, the pumpkin patch! I love that.