Friday, June 16, 2006

emergency kit...have art, will travel....


Friday Finds~Cute Tins, thanks Lilia
Originally uploaded by artjunkgrl.

I had a few inquiries about my "art emergency" kit, ie, lapdesk and ephemera tote. I'd love to share what I do, thanks for asking. I love organizing stuff. The # one principal I've learned is that you "must do what works for YOU!" I think that about everything...even losing weight! I spent years trying to organize by the book, but it didn't work for me. So, having said that, here is what I do.

1. Everything I have bought for my art supplies has a "handle" or is portable. This is so that I can take it anywhere in the house. I have "most" of my stuff in one central area. I get most of my containers from either: $ store (they have alot of portable stuff), something unconventional around the house (tool box, basket with handle, etc. ). Most of them DO NOT CLOSE, they are open on top so that I can slip things in when I find them wandering off to another room in the house, OR, I can plop something in for a quick clean up. I am NOT "compulsive" about everything going in the right slot (for ex. I have a $ store tote with 4 compartments, I put 4 types of marker/pencil, etc. there. I can sort it later when I feel the need to.

2. I have a lap desk. I bought it at an office store, but I checked online and Container Store has it.
This is pretty sturdy, cleans easily and I don't flip open the sides. I just have it on my lap at the couch.

3. Minimal kit stuff: scissors, glue stick, paper, cardstock, a few embellishments.

4. I paint/save background I like ahead and also put those in a tote. When I see an image I like, I save it and I print them all at once. So, in essense, gather your fave ephemera and keep it in one place, over time, then you will have things at your fingertips.

5. When I sit at the couch I will grab, the ephemera tote, the background tote, and the writing implements. The other minimal kit stuff is in my lap desk.

If you all have any more questions, please ask! I can't wait to see what you all will come up with! Remember, you don't have to buy anything fancy, you can use stuff at home. If you have a printer, you can print out free images, you can paint some backgrounds on some junk mail, and there you go! Let your creativity do the rest!

Have a great weekend!

-Lia (artjunkgrl)

1 comment:

Joy Eliz said...

An emergency art kit?!!!
You are a goddess!!!