Wednesday, April 05, 2006

journal junk: random thoughts, "The Artist's Way", staying connected....

It's amazing how quickly I fall into my old habits regarding my "art" or creativity time. This weeks topic for Mixed Media Memoirs is, "I will stay connected to my creativity by....." This topic is a timely prompt coinciding with the closing chapter of The Artist's Way book. This seemingly harmless prompt did strike a cord with me. If I were to go back a few weeks, I would have immediately been able to fill in the blank. But here I am again, letting the stresses of life take over and again, pushing my creativity to the back burner.
I really learned SO much and felt so connected to my creativity and to others by participating in Artist's Way Blog (KatsPaw). Kat was and is an amazing, caring, kind leader who really encouraged me to "step out" blogging wise, art wise and committment wise as far as reading and incorporating the principles of the AW book into my life.
Did I see changes? yes. Did my creativity start flourishing? yes. Did it cure me of my tendency to restrict myself of creativity time? no. I realize that is something that I will always have to fight. I see now why it's so important to incorporate DAILY rituals like the morning pages and weekly artists dates so that we can stay "connected", even those of us, like me, that are wayward saints....
So anyway, I'm starting to nauseate myself with all my self loathing, so I'll get to my point....The point is that in order for me to stay connected to my creativity, I've realized that I have to do something creative EVERY DAY. It's been 3 or 4 or more days since I've sat down to create a tag or collage (which is my favorite thing to do). I keep telling myself that I'll sit down, "when this or that or the other thing is DONE". Well, as always, it's never done! This is what I used to do and the days turned into years. So, I am going to renew my "contract" again. I need to learn that the contract needs to be renewed every time I fall into the "abyss". I need to remind myself that I am worth the time and committment to my dream. I am hoping that with the great support of my blogging friends, and with my own committment, I will continue on the path...the Artist's Way! LK

3 comments:

Jana B said...

It seems like now that the AW has ended, we've all had some struggles with remembering to spend "quality time" with our inner artist child. But I know that as we learn to encourage one another, it'll get easier to stay committed. :)

Unknown said...

whoa you hit the nail on the head... it was easy(er) to keep up the AW practices when there were no deadlines to contend with, but this past week I have fallen right off the track... came here via MMM, the current one is so apt! :)

kellie said...

Don't you give up! It really it "Heart junk" (I like that part of your entry) and your heart needs that. I've been fighting this same battle nearly my whole life. I think I said it before, but I am UTTERLY AMAZED that you make time to do any of this stuff with four kids. But you ARE worth it, indeed. For yourself--and also for your kids seeing a happy mother taking time for her heart's delights. Don't let go!